Getting #1 ranking in Google search is every small business dream, right?
But getting to be #1 in search isn’t easy. And there certainly isn’t a quick fix, fits all recipe for getting there. Sorry to burst your bubble, but anyone who says differently is lying! Plain and simple.
Google search organizes its results in a couple of different ways. How you rank in google will depend on how:
- recent your content is;
- useful or relevant it is for the search at hand;
- much social proof you have.
Bottom line is that if you create content made for humans that is useful you should do well. But that’s not to say that you can’t do anything to improve your search results.
Here are a couple of things you should know about your search results:
- It takes time: as you grow your business and continue to add new content to your site you’ll begin to naturally go up in ranking, this happens because google loves new content, so the more you update your site the better you’ll do.
- Your rank depends on the Search: you can be number one for people searching “cute hot dog costumes for dogs” and be down to number 10 for “dog costumes” that’s why it’s so important to know what your clients are searching for in google, because that’s what you want to rank for.
- Social media matters: google pays attention to social media, and will promote content that gets shared on social media, that’s why you should always encourage people to share your content.
- Crappy sites don’t rank: bottom line, even if you have all of the above points working for you none of it will matter if your website sucks. Google wants to provide it’s users with a great experience so it natural benefits great websites.
3 Things you can do Today to improve your ranking in Google search:
- Get clear on what your clients are searching for and start writing posts that answer their questions.
- Use social media, share your posts on social media, ask readers to share and make sure to include share buttons on your site.
- Get your website up to par with google standards. You can test your site here: website.grader.com
At the end of the day, ranking well on google is about: getting the right keywords, posting on social, posting frequently and being human.
If you’re looking for support in finding the right keywords for your business join me for a 90min strategy session to get clarity around your marketing.
Get your FREE Launch Checklist for your next launch!